Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Learning-acquiring skills to blog

First, I want to introduce myself. My name is Cara Fowler, I am an Applied Exercise Science major at the University of New England, and my career goal is to become a physical therapist and help people that are suffering from pain that is unnecessary to become pain-free. I have a bubbly personality and I love to smile. If I had to choose one thing to keep forever, I would choose my friends and family because I have been blessed to have such wonderful people in my life that give so much and have shaped who I am today. I'm a hard-worker, and currently work at McDonalds, as a crew trainer, and Old Navy, as a sales floor associate.

I hope that this course will help me become more active on blogs, because I believe that they're a wonderful way to explore society and to get more in-sight to what is actually happening within communities.

Originally when I heard about this summer class, I didn't think that blogging would be difficult. However, I was mistaken. Setting up my account to this blog was very simple, but choosing a design and making it what I want was a little more difficult than I expected. The easy part of customizing this blog was describing myself--but I guess most everyone finds talking about themselves pretty easy..So, I chose to write a little bit about myself first. Next, I chose to conquer the more difficult task-designing a layout that suited me and choosing a picture to place on my profile. I decided to not make an avatar of myself, because I just wanted to make my life simple, even though I am not too keen on having my face on the internet. My original goal was to also keep the design simple simple, however, once I started the process I found so many interesting things that this site offers, and could hardly choose what I wanted to do. In the end, I finally chose a pattern that suits me-a fun and pink pattern that's really busy in order to keep you on your toes.I also chose to do three columns because my favorite number is three. I also think that the three columns allows the blog to be more spaced out and puts emphasis on my blog posts. I believe that the layout is one more thing that allows personalization to a blog, and will really make it your own.

Next on my to-do-list was to customize the privacy settings of my blog. I am a very firm believer that too much should not be put on the internet, which is why all information on my Facebook is private and why I chose to make this blog as private as possible as well. This is why I chose to not have my blog in Blogger.com's listings, to not have search engines find my blog, and to not allow visitors e-mail my post to other friends.

I believe that learning to blog will help me in my professional career by allowing me to keep in contact with other physical therapists. By doing so, I will be able to learn about how different PTs are using different exercises for different injuries. This will help me to be a better physical therapist because I will have a broader range of knowledge and will be allowed to learn from different colleagues rather than only the things I learned in school.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you that blogging isn't easy... I remember talking with you being like oh this class will be pretty easy and now I'm realizing the exact same thing! Its so hard to write down all your thoughts knowing other people are going to read them and need to comment on them but don't worry we are all in this together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you set up your blog and the background is very pretty! I agree with you about Blogging... it is not what I expected and setting it up was rather confusing. This blog has nothing to do with Wikis, but I personally think that setting that up was much more confusing! I personally found Bistra's powerpoints very helpful for whenever I got stuck with setting something up. Hopefully they help others as well.
    And definitely, we are in this together! I think its great that we can talk with each other this closely through the blogs. If someone is struggling, it is so easy to post that and get some help through the comments =).

    ReplyDelete